Posts have been very sporadic due to time being spent on love, MBA studies & MichaelStephen. Decided to expand the sharing of some thoughts & insights beyond colleagues/friends/clients to the blogosphere as well. As usual discourse & discussion is most welcome including whether you find these reads interesting. The following post contains key points from an interesting article on what a manager usually expects from his/her direct reports reporting to him/her.
• Delegation is very important but need to know when involvement is required
• Depends on judgment call but usually when:-
o Somebody is falling behind in his/her commitments
o When important personnel matters arise
• Hear what you have to say (and not what you think I want to hear)
• Even corny, funny, weird ideas – we can try it out!
• Come up with ideas as you are the best people to come up with ideas!
• Best if can work together & share credit
• Even if somehow you do not like someone, need to communicate & work together
Be Willing to Lead Initiatives
• Take a chance & take up challenging new projects
• It’s the best way to get noticed & climb the corporate ladder faster
Develop People as You Develop
• Take interest in your peers/subordinates expectations as in your own
• Get personally involved in performance appraisals
• Give specific & useful feedback (no ambiguity/vagueness)
• Read new, reports, etc & know what’s happening in the world
• Know how customers & the competition is changing
• Know how technology & world events are affecting customers strategies
• Customer relationships are an asset!
• Stay current to avoid risking a setback you should have anticipated
• The best people who are constantly looking around corners are best suited to leadership positions
Drive Your Own Growth
• Seek perpetual education & development (not only though studying, but through other people & ideas)
• Get feedback from your boss, peers & subordinates
• Accept demanding assignments & as you learn more than from cushy/simple projects
Be a Player for All Seasons
• Collaborate & offer ideas whether the company is growing with +20% profits, or -20% growth
What do you think a manager expects from his/her employees?